Arkansas Libraries is the official journal of the Arkansas Library Association (ArLA). It contains the articles of current interest, historical significance or literary value concerning all aspects of librarianship, especially items pertinent to Arkansas. The journal maintains a balance between philosophical and practical articles.
Manuscript Format: Manuscripts generally run from 2000-4000 words. Manuscripts should conform to a consistent style. The editors recommend The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition.
Submission of Manuscripts: Text should be submitted electronically via email; Photographs should be accompanied by a brief description. Digital photos should be taken at the highest resolution possible. Scanned photos should be done at 300 dpi. Graphic material should be submitted in camera-ready form. Authors should enclose a brief biographical sketch, including present affiliation.
Arkansas Libraries accepts submission of manuscripts with the understanding that the manuscripts have not been submitted, accepted for publication, or published elsewhere.
Authors send manuscripts to:
Britt Anne Murphy, Managing Editor
Conway, AR 72032
Fax: (501) 450-3800
Editorial Handling of Manuscript: All Manuscripts will be evaluated by the editors; notification will be sent upon acceptance of a manuscript for publication. The editors retain the right to edit manuscripts to conform to style and space limitations. Manuscripts requiring extensive editorial work will be returned to the author for approval of editorial decisions.
LaNell Compton Award: The Arkansas Library Association honors the best contribution to library literature published in Arkansas Libraries with the LaNell Compton Award, which is given biennially. All articles published in Arkansas Libraries during the previous two years will be considered. The award recipient receives a cash prize.
* Please provide a suggested title (not just the title of the column).
* Please provide the author’s name, title, and place of work.
* Single space with double spacing between paragraphs.
* Font ideally will be Times New Roman, 12 pt.
* No hard returns, except for between paragraphs.
* Minimum 600 words, maximum 1300 words (2 pages).
* Photos are wonderful in columns, including a photo of yourself! If you choose to use them, you can place them in the column, but also please send a jpeg (highest quality) separately. Don’t crop them or change the image a whole lot. The printer would prefer to get the bigger file size. You can borrow an ArLA camera for the purpose of taking photos if you feel your camera isn’t up to the task, just let us know!
* Send separate copies of graphs and illustrations. If the graph is in color (which will look good on our website) please also send one in black and white — preferably without a lot of tint variations. Color does not transfer well to black and white.
* Editors reserve the right to edit!
Column editors send columns to:
Heather Hays, Associate Editor
Bentonville Public Library
405 S Main Street
Bentonville, AR 72712
Copyright: All written work will be copyrighted by the Arkansas Library Association. Written permission must be obtained from the editors for republication of any article (in whole or in part).