The Health Sciences Informationist position is based at the UAMS campus in the beautiful, vibrant city of Little Rock [http://www.littlerock.com]. We are looking for an individual with an ALA-accredited masters’ degree in library science or individuals with a masters’ degree in a health profession or a health-related science. This position offers a unique opportunity for a new librarian or science professional attracted to the prospect of serving in a health sciences library environment. Applications will be accepted until September 16, 2019.
Please Note: UAMS has recently instituted an online application process. Interested candidates should follow the instructions below for submitting their application.
The system only allows one document to be uploaded so the cover letter, references and CV must be in a single document.
HEALTH SCIENCES INFORMATIONIST
UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES LIBRARY
The Education and Research Services (E&RS) Department at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Library is seeking an engaging, collaborative, service-oriented individual to join our team. E&RS librarians provide research, reference and instructional services to UAMS faculty, staff and students. The general responsibilities of this position include teaching about biomedical information resources, conducting literature searches, participating in liaison and outreach activities, and consulting on projects such as systematic reviews. As a member of the E&RS team, this informationist works to promote awareness of library services and resources at UAMS and to affiliated institutions.
We are looking for an individual with an ALA-accredited masters’ degree in library science. Alternatively, we are interested in applications from individuals with a masters’ degree in a health profession or a health-related science. This position offers a unique opportunity for a new librarian or science professional attracted to the prospect of serving in a health sciences library environment.
The position would include training in expert searching, reference interviews, research collaborations, and instructional methods for teaching biomedical information resources. This faculty member will be mentored in professional development including learning about professional organizations, continuing education opportunities, publishing, research, and promotion requirements.
This position reports to the Head of E&RS and works in a team-oriented environment. This is a full-time, non-tenured faculty position with rank and salary commensurate with the individual’s education and experience. E&RS faculty are strongly encouraged to participate in professional activities, which may include service to professional associations, contributions to the profession’s knowledge base through research, conference presentations, creation/teaching of continuing education courses or original publications. The pursuit of expertise and improvement of professional skills are encouraged.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
- Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
- Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
- Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
- Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
- Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
- Career Training and Educational Opportunities
- Merchant Discounts
- Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Salary offered commensurate with experience.
All E&RS faculty participate on Teams for Reference, Education, Liaisons, Outreach, and Search Services with responsibilities for:
- Teaching classes and developing LibGuides and other instructional materials
- Conducting literature searches and maintaining searching technical skills
- Providing departmental coverage, fulfill reference/research requests and consultations
- Providing presentations across campus on specific resources
- Assisting with outreach exhibits, presentations and classes
- Serving on library and university committees
- Acting as liaison to an assigned college, department and/or unit
- Participating in Library programs, services and strategic planning processes
- Contributing to special projects and department workflow as designated
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science or equivalent, or a masters’ degree in a health profession or a health-related science
- Experience teaching and/or making presentations
- Experience searching literature databases
- Experience using Microsoft Office products
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Two years of professional experience in an academic or health care setting
- Education and/or experience in life sciences
- Experience searching MEDLINE and other biomedical databases
- Experience promoting information resources via innovative, technology based methods including social media outlets
- Experience providing information or customer services
- Experience collaborating with a broad range of faculty, staff and students
- Commitment to continuing professional development and participation in professional activities
- Interest in pursuing Medical Library Association’s Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) Credentials
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence.
PROCESS TO APPLY
UAMS has recently instituted an online application process. Interested candidates should follow the instructions below for submitting their application.
NOTE: The system only allows one document to be uploaded so the cover letter, references and CV must be in a single document.
1. Go to https://jobs.uams.edu
2. Click on Search Jobs button
3. Scroll down screen to Job Search & Search by position title OR Search by
a. Category – select Faculty
b. Position – select Regular Full Time
c. Location – select Little Rock
4. To apply, click the button at end of the full job description.Applications can only be accepted via the online submission system.