GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Coordinate outreach program focused on the Hispanic community, and develop and deliver library services that make the library available to audiences outside of the library’s building. Provide professional reference assistance and exceptional customer service to the general public. Serve as a liaison to the Hispanic community in encouraging library use. Develop and deliver library programs, services, and collections that reflect a wide spectrum of ideas and viewpoints, mirroring diverse and growing community needs. Must have ability to speak, read and write fluently in English and Spanish.
All Library positions require customer-focused service to both internal and external customers, flexibility, teamwork, reliable attendance and compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
This is a 24 month position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Create, develop, implement and evaluate multiple high-quality outreach programs for the Hispanic community.
- 2. Coordinate adult, teen and youth programming events, on a variety of subjects and interests focused on Hispanic culture. Identify and procure presenters for programs.
- 3. Conduct story time programs in both Spanish and English.
- 4. Speak instruct and/or perform in front of library and outreach audiences of all ages. In general, promote library use in the community.
- 5. Develop and manage relationships with community organization partners, including the Tyson Plant team. Visit Hispanic groups within the community, providing information on the library and education on library services.
- 6. Manage web content proficiently with appropriate tools.
- 7. Provide advanced research assistance, readers’ advisory, technical assistance and excellent frontline customer service with a focus on Spanish speaking patrons by staffing adult, children’s and circulation public service desks.
- 8. Evaluate existing collections for relevance and community interests, decommissioning materials on a regular schedule. Assess the need for Spanish language and bilingual materials in all areas of the collection.
- 9. Document programs, partnerships and resources developed as a result of this position.
- 10. Gather data and feedback for grant reports.
- 11. Must be proficient in the use of Library systems, including the ability to perform necessary functions and searches. Must have expert knowledge of print materials in the reference collection.
- 12. Create print and web bibliographies, user guides and displays spotlighting library collections, services and programs focused on the resources available to the Hispanic community.
- 13. Assume personal responsibility for the building's condition and solve minor issues and problems as they arise.
- 14. Translate internal documents.
- 15. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduate degree (M.B.A., M.A., etc), plus 3 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor degree plus 4 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Moderate diversity, low physical. Work activities which allow for a moderate amount of diversity in the performance of tasks which are not as varied as those positions with high-level diversity and decision- making.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk or hear; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; an. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; and color vision.
Other Skills and Abilities:
1.Ability to work evenings and weekends often in new and changing environments. 2.Creativity and awareness of the Hispanic community needs to design and implement library services for all ages.
- 3. Strong organizational and time management skills.
- 4. Work both independently and as an effective and valued team member.
- 5. Work under pressure on multiple projects with frequent interruptions and tight deadlines. 6.Must be fluent in Spanish and English languages.
Ability to tolerate moderate noise that comes from an office environment with typical HVAC performance, constant visitors, telephone calls, computers, and printers; ability to tolerate increased noise during library programs.