Metadata Librarian for Serials and Electronic Resources
The Samford University Library is seeking an ambitious and creative individual interested in serving in a Christian university environment to fill the position of Metadata Librarian for Serials and Electronic Resources. Located in suburban Birmingham, Samford is the largest privately‐funded and fully‐accredited institution of higher learning in Alabama. The University Library serves the academic community of more than 5,600 undergraduate and graduate students and more than 500 teaching faculty. You can learn more about our distinctive university at www.samford.edu. The librarian in this position reports to the chair of the Cataloging Department, which is composed of three librarians and two staff members. The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing and maintaining comprehensive intellectual control of and access to electronic resources as well as print serials at Samford University Library. Specific duties are listed below.
- Provides and maintains bibliographic and holdings metadata for library's electronic resources and print serials across multiple platforms including the integrated library system, discovery tool, knowledgebase, link resolver, and OCLC
- Identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves access and content related issues for electronic resources
- Provides collection and usage statistics for electronic resources
- Coordinates with the Associate Dean (Chair of Collection Management) in all issues concerning the management of electronic resources and serials
- Assists the library’s Reference and Research Services department with library and information literacy instruction and participates in the rotation of reference desk staffing for night and weekend coverage
- Contribute to implementing the mission of Samford University Library across all constituencies and to stay abreast of emerging trends related to e-resources, serials and discovery
- Performs other duties as assigned
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science
- Library technical services experience with cataloging and serials
- Knowledge of RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, MARC bibliographic and authority formats; familiarity with a bibliographic utility, preferably OCLC
- Ability to perform work with accuracy and perseverance; ability to work collaboratively and independently, with initiative and good judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills including oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Experience with both an integrated library system and an electronic resource management system (The Samford University Library currently uses III’s Sierra and EBSCO’s Full Text Finder)
- Familiarity with Excel and MarcEdit software
- Ability to implement and adapt to evolving technology
Rank and Salary
Twelve‐month, non‐tenure track, faculty appointment; salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits/vacation package; tuition remission.
Samford University (www.samford.edu) is the largest privately supported and fully accredited institution for higher learning in Alabama. Located in suburban Birmingham, the university was founded in 1841 and has more than 5,500 students. Samford is ranked 3rd in the South among regional universities by U.S. News & World Report and has been nationally recognized for academics, affordability and value by a number of prestigious publications and rankings. The university is dedicated to the promotion of rigorous academic inquiry in a Christian setting.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Electronic submission of documents is required. Candidates should supply a letter of interest, current resume and contact information of three professional references, description of e-resource, serials, and discovery experience:
Applicants must also complete and submit an “Application for Faculty Position” and “Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement” (https://www.samford.edu/departments/files/Human_Resources/application-for-faculty-employment.pdf)
Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement (https://www.samford.edu/departments/files/academic-affairs/Faculty-Applicant-Christian-Mission-Statement.pdf)
Please submit all materials as a PDF file to:
Subject: Metadata Librarian
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Institution that complies with applicable law prohibiting discrimination in its educational and employment policies and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or national or ethnic origin.