Type of Position:
Day Shift (United States of America)
University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every student. From high school seniors to senior professionals, first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, and perspectives.
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area’s lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you will find details for the position including any supplementary documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting your application. For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at (479) 788-7080.
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring process please contact Human Resources at 479-788-7080. Applicants are required to submit a request for each position to which they have applied.
Summary of Job Duties:
The Discovery and Access Librarian supports metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance to enhance discovery and access to the Libraries’ collections, including special collections, print, serials, audio/visual, electronic resources, and digital scholarship. This position includes the management of the integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.) and discovery system (EBSCO Discovery System – EDS), materials processing, in addition to metadata creation and maintenance. This is a library faculty position, and as such, research, publication, and service to the University and profession are expected for continuing advancement.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or degree completion within six months of hiring date.
- Candidates with one or more years of experience in an academic library setting are preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with library computer technologies and software is preferred.
- Experience with non-MARC metadata.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of relevant foundational metadata tools
- Ability to adapt quickly to new standards and technologies in discovery, access, and metadata
- Knowledge of OCLC and its use in metadata creation and maintenance
- Knowledge of metadata tools and systems for creating, editing, and transforming metadata
- Experience using integrated library systems
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, Discovery and written communication skills
- Experience providing library instruction
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and effectively in a team environment with a diverse community of users
- Flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to work successfully in a complex, dynamic environment with competing demands
- Strong commitment to service excellence.
Essential Job Duties:
- Applies knowledge of relevant metadata standards, rules and best practices for the creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance of metadata at all levels;
- Collaborates across the university to develop and enhance procedures for effective metadata management;
- Develops solutions to metadata access and discovery problems.
- Serves as the integrated library system and discovery system administrator;
- Provides connectivity support for all third-party applications which connect with the integrated library system and discovery system;
- Coordinates with campus IT in the maintenance of the integrated library system;
- Acts as primary contact with the integrated library system and discovery system vendors.
Other Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for monitoring trends and best practices in e-resources management, discoverability, and use
- Serves as collection development liaison to designated academic departments
- Shares in providing reference and instruction assistance to library users in person, by email, telephone, or online chat
- Participates in professional development and scholarly activities as outlined for faculty members
- Serves on library and university committees and task forces and
- Other duties as assigned.
Low to Mid $40,000
Required Documents to Apply:
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, List of three Professional References (name, email, business title), Resume, Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
Proof of Veteran Status
Working Relationships: This position reports directly to the Director of Library Services; Works closely with librarians and library staff; Works with university faculty, staff and administrators, as well as students.
List Employees Supervised: No employees supervised by this position
Special Job Dimensions: Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional travel required. Scheduled usually 8am to 5pm, M-F, and rotating Saturdays. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/UASYS
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Constant Physical Activity:
Frequent Physical Activity:
Occasional Physical Activity: