Imagine being the Library Director for Taneyhills Library in vibrant Branson, Missouri. Branson is known as a vacation destination, but it’s also a thriving community. The area offers fabulous scenery with three lakes, four seasons, big city amenities, and small-town friendliness.
Since 1933, Taneyhills Library has operated as a privately-funded community library staffed primarily by volunteers. In addition to donations and grants, an onsite thrift shop and used book store generate income to support the Library.
Taneyhills Library is launching a tax campaign to become publicly funded. We imagine a new building, exciting programs, additional staff, and much more. Are you willing to jump in and lead the transformation?
PRIMARY JOB FOCUS/RESPONSIBILITIES/ABILITIES:
- Leadership - A top priority for the Director will be transforming from a private library to a publicly-funded entity. The Director sets an example to staff, board members, and the community through high principles and a businesslike approach. Networking with the Missouri State Library, the Missouri Public Library Association, and local governmental entities to develop strategic plans and successfully accomplish the transition.
Community Relations - Represents the Library to the community and local governmental agencies. Attends public events when appropriate. Ensures marketing and outreach efforts encourage library usage and increase awareness. Competency in creating and delivering presentations to diverse audiences is necessary. Maintains positive relationships with library members and the general public. Coaches staff on delivering exceptional customer care.
- Finances – Manages the budget and oversees all financial transactions involving the Library. Monitors and approves expenditures. Evaluates suppliers and reviews all service contracts. Provides financial reports to the Board and communicates future needs.
- Technology – Supervises the maintenance of all hardware and software for the Library’s computers and electronic equipment. Identifies technology needs, evaluates products, reviews licensing, and confirms installation and implementation requirements.
- Administration & Personnel Management – Makes decisions regarding staffing, conducts performance reviews, and delivers corrective action when needed. Ensures new employees are properly trained and capable of executing their job to their full potential. Creates a team environment in which employees are motivated to work together. Makes policy recommendations and communicates changes to employees.
- Collection – Monitors the acquisition and development of library materials to best meet the needs of the community. Strives to continually improve the collection, examines usage trends, and researches new content providers and media options.
- Programs – Oversees the creation and deployment of Library programs and services. Ensures programs are adequately staffed, relevant, and successful. Reviews program content to confirm compliance with Library policies.
- Fundraising – Investigates grant and fundraising opportunities to augment Library funding. Engages the Friends of the Library as needed for support and volunteer assistance. Evaluates internal needs and opportunities to best match grant requirements.
- Facility Maintenance and Management – Administers maintenance, safety, and cleanliness of the Library building. Manages the upkeep of the facility’s systems, equipment, and exterior. May include working with architects and planners in facility development.
The Director possess an Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Library or Information Science with a minimum of five (5) years supervisory or director experience. Familiarity with tax levies and building construction will be beneficial.
This is a salaried, exempt position, requiring 40-50 hours per week, including occasional evening or weekend hours.
This position requires proficient knowledge of MS-Office – Word, Publisher, Excel, and PowerPoint or similar software packages. Taneyhills Library’s integrated library system is KOHA and Quickbooks is used for managing the budget.
Interested candidates should email a current resume to Marcia Schemper-Carlock at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2021.