The Scholarship Committee is now accepting applications for two $1,500 scholarships to be awarded at annual conference October 4-6, 2015. Both awards share an August 1, 2015 deadline.
- The Arkansas Library Association Annual Scholarship will be awarded to an
applicant who is pursuing a degree from an American Library Association
accredited institution. Application form | Policy.
- The Arkansas Library Association School Library Media Specialist (SLMS) Scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who is pursuing a degree from The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education accredited institution. Application form | Policy.
Please encourage those you know who are pursuing their degrees to apply. Scholarship funding is provided by the generous donations of Arkansas Library Association members and others to support library students. Donations are accepted year round, not just when memberships are renewed! Contributions may be made in memory and/or in honor of someone who has made a difference in your life. Have you acknowledged that person who sparked your interest and encouraged you into the library profession? Honoring them with a donation in their name is a perfect way to say thank you. This is a wonderful opportunity to invest in the future of our beloved profession by supporting those who strive to go after us.
The ArLA Scholarship program is a nonprofit public charity operating under Section 501 (c)(3) and in compliance with Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Service Code. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
The Committee encourages a higher standard of professional education for librarians in Arkansas by soliciting contributions to the scholarship fund and by awarding scholarships. Learn more about the Scholarship Committee.
Duties of the Committee:
- Development and implement a plan to promote contributions to the Scholarship fund.
- Appoint Scholarship committee members from the ArLA membership roll.
- Turn in all money collected over to the Secretary/Treasurer or Executive Administrator for deposit in the Scholarship Fund.
- Review guidelines for awarding the scholarships. Revisions may be recommended to the Executive board. (See appendix for scholarship guidelines.)
- Determine the firm deadline for the scholarship application submission process. (Scholarship applications should be due at least 6 weeks prior to annual conference).
- Award two yearly scholarships, ArLA Annual and ArLA School Library Media Specialist, when the funds are available.
- Submit a Scholarship committee budget proposal to the Secretary/Treasurer and Executive Administrator by their appointed date.
- Send Scholarship committee information, forms, deadlines, and activities to the ArLA Webmaster when necessary to keep the Scholarship Webpage up-to-date.
- Publish Scholarship committee information and deadlines in AR Libraries prior to deadlines.
- Post Scholarship committee information and deadlines on the ArLA Listserv prior to deadlines.